For the life of me I can’t recall what makeup or beauty products I was using regularly early last year but I do know towards the end that I was hooked on the below items to the point that I was busting these out on a near daily basis. Here are my 2016 beauty favourites.
From the top row;
- the now empty Jo Malone Red Roses Bath Oil. Sometimes I would have a bath just so I could soak in this gorgeous scent. I ran out of it way too soon and need to restock it.
- the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit – Surreal Light Palette. That’s a mouthful. The palette contains five powders (a finishing powder, two blushes, a bronzer and highlighter). The soft focus powders are a dream on skin. I didn’t think I’d touch the bronzer as most bronzers are too warm toned for my cool complexion but this one is a happy down-the-middle toned bronzer that most people will love.
- the Jo Malone Basil & Neroli Cologne. This perfume is such a sophisticated sort of scent. As soon as I spray it I feel instantly more grown up (a weird thing to say at 32, I know).
- the IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye Concealer. I’ve never really bothered with under-eye concealers as I don’t suffer from dark circles or anything that I feel I need to cover up but I was surprised at how much this brightened up my under-eye area. I use it sparingly as it is on the thicker side.
- the Lanolips fruity scented balms. These are great slicked over a matte lipstick or applied alone on the lips at night time (you’ll wake up with softer, moisturised lips).
- any Rosehip Oil. I’m currently making my way through this Trilogy rosehip oil but any organic/natural brands work just as good. It helps keep my dry skin in a more gentle, comfortable feeling condition. I’ve also been adding a drop or two to my foundation for more of a dewy glow.
- the Shu Uemura eyelash curlers. Why has it taken me so damn long to jump on the lash curler bandwagon? This easy to use tool makes such a noticeable difference to mascara painted lashes.
From the bottom row;
- the Shu Uemura Tokyo Doll palette. This one is standing in as a representative for all my eyeshadow palettes. 2016 has been the year that I’ve forced myself to get into eyeshadow. I was always scared of it (and of applying it wrongly) and my starting-to-sag, hooded eyelids didn’t help. I’m happy to say I’ve learnt to work with them and can now do basic eyeshadow looks. My most used palettes have been this, the Shu Uemura Blushing Beige palette, the Kat Von D Shade & Light palette and the MAC Amber x Nine palette.
- the Artiste brushes. My Real Techniques brush set will always be a favourite but since I’ve now had them a few years they are on the slightly ratty side of life. These Artiste brushes are so soft, just as good as the RT ones and so easy to work with. My favourites are the buffing foundation brush, the blush brush and the all over face powder brush. So damn fluffy!
- the IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream. This has been my favourite foundation type product all year long. I’m now on my third tube of the stuff and will continue to repurchase because it’s the nicest, most natural looking medium coverage. I love this more than my Chanel or other high-end foundations.
- the Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow sticks. These blend like a dream! I walked into my local Bobbi Brown counter and knew I wanted something creamy I could apply quickly and without the use of brushes (on-the-go makeup, if you will). I requested something natural looking for my complexion and the sales assistant matched me up to Golden Pink as a shimmery lid colour and Malted Pink as a matte crease colour. They are a perfect duo for my cool-toned, fair complexion as they’re a more subtle, muted neutral pink toned shadow.
- the Hourglass Illume Sheer Colour palette. This cream based face set contains a beautiful light highlight, a coral blush and a warm toned bronzer. I apply the bronzer very lightly and quite sheer as it is too warm toned for me personally. The blush and highlight I go to town with.
Overall, 2016 for me beauty-wise was about a lot of bath products (many trips to Lush for bath bombs), cream based makeup products and delving into the world of eyeshadow. Bonus mention goes to 2016 for being the year I finally got the courage to get lip fillers. You can read my thoughts on the experience here. Do you own or have you been wanting to try out any of these beauty products? What products were special to you in 2016?
SHOP THE POST: